Friday 23 March 2012

Sacred Space

I can't stress the importance of having a special, quiet place just for yourself where you can go and relax in peace and solitude. I realised the hard way after a period of work related stress, that I had no where specific to go to re-group and re-connect with me...

Back in the America, I always maintained a home alter where I kept flowers, bells and all sorts of spiritual artefacts that inspired me, set on top of a beautifully covered table, or even a book shelf in some cases, where I could sit alone and reflect. At one point, we even had a lovely space out in the back garden where Mark had built a pond and birds would come and drink. I could sit there for hours dreaming to myself.

I had even heard it said that one can create a wonderful space all their own in an out-building, guest room, or even in a little corner of the bedroom. The space I've finally created now, is in an empty room in our home that doubles as a utility room (where only clean clothes get hung to dry in one corner), but my space is along the east facing wall that has a window overlooking the back garden.

I absolutely love this space and cherish the peaceful quality that's establish once I'm there. I've set up my little alter on top of a velvet pashmina on the floor facing the window, and I've covered it with a wood carving of the Buddha, a Tibetan singing bowl, some framed auspicious Chinese calligraphy (from Ikea) and a lovely bowl of multi-coloured polished stones.

I also have angel and oracle cards that have personal meaning for me as well as a rose designed box that holds my Miracles cards and some tiny Brahma Kumaris cards. I even went the whole way and purchased a formal meditation mat and cushion. I know this may sound like a lot, but everything fits perfectly into the small space and creates an atmosphere almost like a Zen temple.

I've made it clear to my husband that when I'm there, I'm not to be disturbed and he respects that because he loves me. Toward the back of the room, I also keep a comfortable chair with a stack of my favourite spiritual and philosophical books nearby. In the early morning, or in the late afternoon the sun shines in the window and produces a warmth of light that makes me feel like I'm wrapped in a blanket of peace and contentment.

During my morning time, usually around one hour, I practice mindfulness meditation for thirty minutes and then sit in the chair and read for another 30 minutes. I can't tell you how much I value this time and highly recommend anyone carving out this niche in their day for themselves.

This precious time is a gift where I can really connect with my own Inner Wisdom and Source. The peace and light that generates from the awareness produced travels with me throughout my day and helps me to remember to choose love in each and every situation and circumstance. Plus, it's been scientifically proven that spending at least 20 minutes a day in meditation can have long lasting affects on ones health and personal wellbeing. It's true!

In 1929, Virginia Woolf wrote an extended essay titled, A Room of One's Own, where she explores the importance of a person, women specifically, who could flourish if they only had a space of their own where they could dream and be free to think their own thoughts. I can't say enough how I agree whole-heartedly with this idea.

Yes, you could argue you have no room, or children, too many demands, the list goes on... But only we can take responsibility for our own mental sanity and peace of mind. As I say, even a small corner of the bedroom would suffice. The gifts you will receive as a result of spending "me time" in your own sacred space will far outweigh any demands you think that you cannot overcome. I guarantee it.

2 comments:

Larry said...

I am fortunate enough to have always been materially poor. This has led to me discovering that my sacred space has to be the space in my heart as I have rarely lived in more than one room. I know this sounds trite and smug. But it's the truth of the matter. Having lived through so much mental and emotional darkness has also given me 'forgiveness kung-fu' which has helped me to create a quick path to and from my heart.

Cheryl Ford said...

Thank you Larry. I heart is always our first and most important "Sacred Space." x